5 “Also, when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to pray [publicly] standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets so that they may be seen by men. I assure you and most solemnly say to you, they [already] have their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your most private room, close the door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees [what is done] in secret will reward you.
7 “And when you pray, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.(A) 8 So do not be like them [praying as they do]; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
9 “Pray, then, [a]in this way:
‘Our Father, who is in heaven,
[b]Hallowed be Your name.(B)
‘[c]Your kingdom come,
Your [d]will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
‘Give us this day our [e]daily bread.
‘And forgive us our [f]debts, as we have forgiven our debtors [letting go of both the wrong and the resentment].
‘And do not [g]lead us into temptation, but deliver us from [h]evil. [i][For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]’(C)
14 For if you forgive [j]others their trespasses [their reckless and willful sins], your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others [nurturing your hurt and anger with the result that it interferes with your relationship with God], then your Father will not forgive your trespasses.Read full chapter
- Matthew 6:9 I.e. as a model or pattern.
- Matthew 6:9 I.e. set apart, keep and treat as holy, revere.
- Matthew 6:10 A plea for God’s kingdom to be inaugurated on earth.
- Matthew 6:10 Including what God wishes to be done by the individual believer—His commands and precepts.
- Matthew 6:11 I.e. life’s essentials.
- Matthew 6:12 I.e. sins, moral failures.
- Matthew 6:13 I.e. lead us away from situations where we are vulnerable and have the opportunity to sin. God does not tempt man (see James 1:13) but does allow man to be tested.
- Matthew 6:13 Or the evil one.
- Matthew 6:13 This clause is not found in early mss.
- Matthew 6:14 Gr anthropoi.