New English Translation
42 The leprosy left him at once, and he was clean. 43 Immediately Jesus[a] sent the man[b] away with a very strong warning. 44 He told him,[c] “See that you do not say anything to anyone,[d] but go, show yourself to a priest, and bring the offering that Moses commanded[e] for your cleansing, as a testimony to them.”[f]Read full chapter
- Mark 1:43 tn Grk “he”; the referent (Jesus) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Mark 1:43 tn Grk “him”; the referent (the man who was healed) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Mark 1:44 tn Grk “And after warning him, he immediately sent him away and told him.”
- Mark 1:44 sn The silence ordered by Jesus was probably meant to last only until the cleansing took place with the priests and sought to prevent Jesus’ healings from becoming the central focus of the people’s reaction to him. See also 1:34; 3:12; 5:43; 7:36; 8:26, 30; 9:9 for other cases where Jesus asks for silence concerning him and his ministry.
- Mark 1:44 sn On the phrase bring the offering that Moses commanded see Lev 14:1-32.
- Mark 1:44 tn Or “as an indictment against them”; or “as proof to the people.” This phrase could be taken as referring to a positive witness to the priests, a negative testimony against them, or as a testimony to the community that the man had indeed been cured. In any case, the testimony shows that Jesus is healing and ministering to those in need.