1599 Geneva Bible
3 1 Of the messenger of the Lord, John Baptist, and of Christ’s office.
1 Behold, I will send my [a]messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the [b]Lord whom ye seek, shall speedily come to his Temple: even the [c]messenger of the Covenant, whom ye desire: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts.
2 But who [d]may abide the day of his coming? and who shall endure, when he appeareth? for he is like a purging fire, and like fuller’s soap.
3 And he shall sit down to try and fine the silver: he shall even fine the sons of [e]Levi and purify them as gold and silver, that they may bring offerings unto the Lord in righteousness.Read full chapter
- Malachi 3:1 This is meant of John Baptist, as Christ expoundeth it, Luke 7:27.
- Malachi 3:1 Meaning, Messiah, Ps. 40:1, 7; Dan. 9:17, 25.
- Malachi 3:1 That is, Christ, by whom the covenant was made and ratified, who is called the Angel or messenger of the covenant, because he reconcileth us to his father and is Lord or king, because he hath the government of his Church.
- Malachi 3:2 He showeth that the hypocrites which wish so much for the Lord’s coming will not abide when he draweth near: for he will consume them, and purge his and make them clean.
- Malachi 3:3 He beginneth at the Priests that they might be lights, and shine unto others.