New English Translation
7 If the person is from sixty years old and older, if he is a male the conversion value is fifteen shekels, and for the female ten shekels. 8 If the person making the votive offering[a] is too poor to pay the conversion value, he must stand the person before the priest and the priest will establish his conversion value;[b] according to what the man who made the votive offering can afford,[c] the priest will establish his conversion value.
Redemption of Animals Given as Votive OfferingsRead full chapter
- Leviticus 27:8 tn Heb “if he.”
- Leviticus 27:8 tn Heb “and the priest shall cause him to be valued.”
- Leviticus 27:8 tn Heb “on the mouth which the hand of the one who vowed reaches.”
- Leviticus 27:9 tn Heb “which they may present from it an offering.” The plural active verb is sometimes best rendered in the passive (GKC 460 §144.f, g). Some medieval Hebrew mss, Smr, a ms of the Targum, and the Vulgate all have the singular verb instead (cf. similarly v. 11).
- Leviticus 27:9 tn Heb “from it.” The masculine suffix “it” here is used for the feminine in the MT, but one medieval Hebrew ms, some mss of Smr, the LXX, and the Syriac have the feminine. The referent (this kind of animal) has been specified in the translation for clarity.