New English Translation
42 I will remember my covenant with Jacob and also my covenant with Isaac and also my covenant with Abraham,[a] and I will remember the land. 43 The land will be abandoned by them[b] in order that it may make up for[c] its Sabbaths while it is made desolate[d] without them,[e] and they will make up for their iniquity because[f] they have rejected my regulations and have abhorred[g] my statutes. 44 In spite of this, however, when they are in the land of their enemies I will not reject them and abhor them to make a complete end of them, to break my covenant with them, for I am the Lord their God.Read full chapter
- Leviticus 26:42 tn Heb “my covenant with Abraham I will remember.” The phrase “I will remember” has not been repeated in the translation for stylistic reasons.
- Leviticus 26:43 tn Heb “from them.” The preposition “from” refers here to the agent of the action (J. E. Hartley, Leviticus [WBC], 455).
- Leviticus 26:43 tn The jussive form of the verb with the simple vav (ו) here calls for a translation that expresses purpose.
- Leviticus 26:43 tn The verb is the Hophal infinitive construct with the third feminine singular suffix (GKC 182 §67.y; cf. v. 34).
- Leviticus 26:43 tn Heb “from them.”
- Leviticus 26:43 tn Heb “because and in because,” a double expression, which is used only here and in Ezek 13:10 (without the vav) for emphasis (GKC 492 §158.b).
- Leviticus 26:43 tn Heb “and their soul has abhorred.”