New English Translation
47 Abimelech heard[a] that all the leaders of the Tower of Shechem were in one place.[b] 48 He and all his men[c] went up on Mount Zalmon. He[d] took an ax[e] in his hand and cut off a tree branch. He put it[f] on his shoulder and said to his men, “Quickly, do what you have just seen me do!”[g] 49 So each of his men also cut off a branch and followed Abimelech. They put the branches[h] against the stronghold and set fire to it.[i] All the people[j] of the Tower of Shechem died—about 1,000 men and women.Read full chapter
- Judges 9:47 tn Heb “and it was told to Abimelech.”
- Judges 9:47 tn Heb “were assembled.”
- Judges 9:48 tn Heb “his people.”
- Judges 9:48 tn Heb “Abimelech.” The proper name has been replaced with the pronoun (“he”) due to considerations of English style.
- Judges 9:48 tn The Hebrew text has the plural here.
- Judges 9:48 tn Heb “he lifted it and put [it].”
- Judges 9:48 tn Heb “What you have seen me do, quickly do like me.”
- Judges 9:49 tn The words “the branches” are supplied in the translation for clarification.
- Judges 9:49 tn Heb “they kindled over them the stronghold with fire.”
- Judges 9:49 tn Or “men,” but the word seems to have a more general sense here, as the conclusion to the sentence suggests.