New English Translation
6 Be very strong! Carefully obey[a] all that is written in the law scroll of Moses so you won’t swerve from it to the right or the left, 7 or associate with these nations that remain near[b] you. You must not invoke or make solemn declarations by the names of their gods![c] You must not worship[d] or bow down to them! 8 But you must be loyal to[e] the Lord your God, as you have been[f] to this very day.Read full chapter
- Joshua 23:6 tn Heb “Be strong so you can be careful to do.”
- Joshua 23:7 tn Heb “with.”
- Joshua 23:7 tn Heb “and in the name of their gods you must not invoke and you must not make solemn declarations.” The words “and you must not make solemn declarations” are omitted in the LXX and may represent a later scribal addition to elucidate the immediately preceding command. The Hiphil of שָׁבַע (shavaʿ) without an object occurs only here and in Josh 6:26.
- Joshua 23:7 tn Or “serve.”
- Joshua 23:8 tn Heb “hug.”
- Joshua 23:8 tn Heb “done.”