Lexham English Bible
13 However, no one was speaking openly about him for fear of the Jews.
14 Now when the feast was already half over,[a] Jesus went to the temple courts[b] and began to teach.[c] 15 Then the Jews were astonished, saying, “How does this man possess knowledge,[d] because he[e] has not been taught?”Read full chapter
- John 7:14 Literally “now it being already in the middle of the feast”
- John 7:14 Here “courts” is supplied to distinguish this area from the interior of the temple building itself
- John 7:14 *The imperfect tense has been translated as ingressive here (“began to teach”)
- John 7:15 Literally “know letters”
- John 7:15 Here “because” is supplied as a component of the participle (“been taught”) which is understood as causal