The Passion Translation
15 so that those who truly believe in him[a] will not perish but be given eternal life. 16 For here is the way God loved the world—he gave his only, unique Son as a gift.[b] So now everyone who believes in him[c] will never perish but experience everlasting life.
17 “God did not send his Son into the world to judge and condemn the world, but to be its Savior and rescue it![d] 18 So now there is no longer any condemnation for those who believe in him, but the unbeliever already lives under condemnation because they do not believe in the name of the only Son of God.[e] 19 And here is the basis for their judgment: The Light of God has now come into the world, but the people loved darkness more than the Light, because they want the darkness to conceal their evil.Read full chapter
- 3:15 The Aramaic participle can also be “believe on him” or “believe into him,” which could explain the variations found in the Greek text.
- 3:16 Or “God proved he loved the world by giving his Son.”
- 3:16 Or “believe into him.” Salvation and regeneration come only by faith. True faith (Gr. pistis) contains a number of components: acceptance, embracing something (someone) as truth, union with God and his Word, and an inner confidence that God alone is enough.
- 3:17 The Aramaic is “so that they shall live by his hand” (of power).
- 3:18 Or “one and only Son.”