The Passion Translation
7 So Jesus went over it again, “I speak to you eternal truth: I am the Gate for the flock.[a] 8 All those who broke in before me are thieves who came to steal,[b] but the sheep never listened to them. 9 I am the Gateway.[c] To enter through me is to experience life, freedom, and satisfaction.[d] 10 A thief has only one thing in mind—he wants to steal, slaughter,[e] and destroy. But I have come to give you everything in abundance,[f] more than you expect[g]—life in its fullness until you overflow!Read full chapter
- 10:7 As translated from the Aramaic. There is a word play with “I” (ena) and “flock” (ana). As the gateway, he brings us to the Father and his kingdom realm. As the shepherd, he cares for us and shows us his loving heart.
- 10:8 The Old Testament refers to the kings of Israel and Judah as “shepherds.” These kings along with false prophets are shepherds who don’t always have God’s heart for the sheep. After the healing of the blind man, the Pharisees refused to acknowledge Jesus’ rightful place as shepherd of his flock, so the thieves coming to steal would also refer to them.
- 10:9 A sheep pen was an enclosure with walls and no roof that would often have the sheep of an entire village kept within. After the sheep were brought in for the night, it was common for the shepherd to sleep at the entrance so he could protect his sheep. Only the shepherds of the sheep would be recognized by that gatekeeper. Jesus is the one who will remain with his flock and keep his sheep living in peace and safety. His teaching (voice) will guard us from the unreliable teachers who want to steal our hearts and bind us to themselves. They steal and rob the affection that belongs only to Jesus, our kind shepherd.
- 10:9 Or “go in and out and find pasture.”
- 10:10 The Greek word thuo is not the usual word for “kill.” It means “sacrifice” or “slaughter.”
- 10:10 Implied in the Aramaic text.
- 10:10 Implied in the Greek text.
New King James Version
Jesus the Good Shepherd
7 Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who ever came [a]before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 (A)I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.Read full chapter
- John 10:8 M omits before Me