International Standard Version
The Prince of Peace
9 [a]But there will be no gloom for her who was[b] in distress. Formerly, he brought contempt to the region of Zebulun and the region of Naphtali, but in the future[c] he will have made glorious the way of the sea, the territory beyond the Jordan—Galilee of the nations.[d]
2 [e]The people who walked in darkness
have seen a great light;
for those living in a land of deep darkness,
a light has shined upon them.
3 You have increased the nation;
you have increased its joy;
they rejoice in your presence
as they rejoice at the harvest,
as they are glad
when they’re dividing the spoils of war.[f]
4 Now as to the yoke that has been[g] his burden,
and the bar laid[h] on his shoulder—
the rod of his oppressor—
you have broken it[i] as on the day of Midiam.[j]
5 For every boot of the tramping soldier in battle tumult
and every garment rolled in blood
will be used for burning as fuel for a fire.
6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government will be upon his shoulder,
and his name is[k] called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the growth of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will rule[l] over his kingdom,
sitting on the throne of David,
to establish it and to uphold it[m]
with justice and righteousness
from this time onward and forevermore.
The zeal of the Lord of the Heavenly Armies will accomplish this.
A Rebuke to Jacob and Israel
8 “The Lord[n] has sent a plague[o] against Jacob,
and it will fall on Israel;
9 and all of the people were evil[p]—
Ephraim and the inhabitants of Samaria—
saying proudly with arrogant hearts:
10 ‘The bricks have fallen,
but we will build with dressed[q] stones;
the sycamore[r] trees have been cut down,
but we will replace them with cedars.’[s]
11 But the Lord has raised adversaries[t] from Rezin[u] against him,
and he stirs up his enemies—
12 Arameans from the east
and Philistines from the west—
and they devour Israel with open mouths!
Judgment for Not Repenting
13 “But the people have not returned to rely[x] on[y] him who struck them,
nor have they sought the Lord of the Heavenly Armies.
14 So the Lord has cut off from Israel head and tail,
palm branch and reed
in[z] a single day—
15 the elder and the dignitary is the head,
and the prophet who teaches lies is the tail.
16 For those who guide this people have been leading them astray,
and those who are guided by them are swallowed up.
17 Therefore the Lord does not have pity on[aa] their young men,
and has no compassion on their orphans[ab] and widows,
because each of them was godless and an evildoer,
and every mouth spoke folly.
18 “For wickedness has burned like a blaze
that consumes briers and thorns;
it sets thickets of the forest on fire,
and skyward[ae] they swirl
in a column of smoke.
19 From[af] the wrath of the Lord of the Heavenly Armies
the land has been scorched,
and the people have become like fuel for the fire;
no one will spare his neighbor.
20 They cut meat on the right,
but they’re still hungry,
and they devour also[ag] on the left,
but they’re not satisfied;
each devours the flesh of his own children.[ah]
21 Manasseh devours Ephraim,
and Ephraim devours Manasseh;
together they are against Judah.
- Isaiah 9:1 This v. is 8:23 in the MT
- Isaiah 9:1 So DSS; MT reads those who were
- Isaiah 9:1 So DSS; MT reads the latter time
- Isaiah 9:1 Or gentiles
- Isaiah 9:2 This v. is 9:1 in the MT
- Isaiah 9:3 1QIsaa MT lack of war
- Isaiah 9:4 Lit. yoke of
- Isaiah 9:4 DSS The Heb. lacks laid
- Isaiah 9:4 1QIsaa MT lack it
- Isaiah 9:4 So 1QIsaa LXX; MT reads Midian; cf. Judg 7:8-25 2King 15:19; 16:8
- Isaiah 9:6 So 1QIsaa; MT 4QIsac read name will be
- Isaiah 9:7 DSS MT lack He will rule
- Isaiah 9:7 So 1QIsaa, referring to the throne; MT reads it, referring to the kingdom
- Isaiah 9:8 So 1QIsaa; MT reads Lord
- Isaiah 9:8 So LXX; MT reads word; 1QIsaa can mean plague or word.
- Isaiah 9:9 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX read knew
- Isaiah 9:10 Or quarried
- Isaiah 9:10 The sycamore fruit tree native to Israel bears figs
- Isaiah 9:10 I.e. a genus of coniferous evergreen in the family Pinaceae
- Isaiah 9:11 So 1QIsaa MT LXX; other MT mss. read princes
- Isaiah 9:11 So 1QIsaa MT; LXX lacks from Rezin
- Isaiah 9:12 So 1QIsaa 4QIsac; the Heb. lacks Yet
- Isaiah 9:12 DSS MT lack ready to strike
- Isaiah 9:13 1QIsaa MT LXX lack to rely
- Isaiah 9:13 So 1QIsaa; MT reads toward; LXX reads until
- Isaiah 9:14 So 1QIsaa LXX; the The Heb. lacks in
- Isaiah 9:17 So 1QIsaa;MT LXX read rejoice over
- Isaiah 9:17 Or fatherless
- Isaiah 9:17 So 1QIsaa 4QIsac; the Heb. lacks Yet
- Isaiah 9:17 DSS MT lack ready to strike
- Isaiah 9:18 Lit. upward
- Isaiah 9:19 So 1QIsaa; MT reads By
- Isaiah 9:20 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX lacks also
- Isaiah 9:20 So 4QIsae; or arms; 1QIsaa MT read offspring or arm; LXX reads arm
- Isaiah 9:21 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX lack Yet
- Isaiah 9:21 DSS MT lack ready to strike