International Standard Version
The Light of God’s Deliverance
60 “Arise, shine!
For your light has come;
the[a] glory of the Lord has risen upon you.
2 For look! Darkness will cover the earth
and thick darkness is over the people,[b]
but the Lord will arise upon you,
and his glory will appear over you.
3 Nations will come to your light,
and kings before[c] your dawn.
4 “Lift up your eyes and look around:
They all gather together, they come to you;
your sons will come from far away,
and your daughters will be carried on the hip.”[d]
5 Then you will look and be radiant;
your heart will swell with joy,[e]
because the abundance of the seas will be diverted to you,
and the riches of the nations will come to you.
6 Throngs of camels will blanket you:
the young camels of Midian and Ephu;[f]
all those from Shebu[g] will come.
They’ll carry gold and frankincense,
and proclaim the praise of the Lord.
7 All Kedar’s flocks will be gathered to you,
the rams of Nebaioth will serve you.
and[h] they’ll come up with acceptance upon[i] my altar,
and I’ll glorify my glorious house.”
The Future Restoration of Zion
8 “Who are these that fly like clouds,
and like doves to their windows?[j]
9 For the coastlands will look to me,
with the ships of Tarshish in the lead,
to bring my[k] children from far away,
their silver and gold with them,
to the name of the Lord your God,
and to the Holy One of Israel,
because he has glorified you.
10 “Foreigners will rebuild your walls,
and their kings will serve you.
Though in my anger I struck you down,
in my favor I have shown you mercy.
11 Your gates will always stand open
by day or night, and[l] they will not be shut,
so that nations will bring you their wealth,
with their kings led in procession.
12 For the nation or kingdom
that will not serve you will perish;
those nations will be utterly ruined.
13 “He has given you[m] the glory of Lebanon,
and it will come[n] to you,
the cypress, and[o] the plane tree,[p] and the pine,
to adorn the place of my sanctuary;
and I will make the place of my feet glorious.
14 “All[q] the descendants of those who oppressed you
will come bending low before you,
and all those who despised you
will bow down at your feet.
They’ll call you ‘The City of the Lord,’
‘Zion of the Holy One of Israel.’”
Israel: the Joy of Generations
15 “Although you have been forsaken and despised,
with no one traveling through,
I will make you the everlasting pride,
the joy of all generations.
16 You’ll suck the milk of nations,
You’ll suck the breasts of kings.
Then you will realize that I, the Lord, am your Savior
and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.
17 “Instead of bronze, I’ll bring gold,
and instead of iron, I’ll bring silver;
instead of wood, bronze,
and instead of stones, iron.
I’ll appoint peace as your supervisor
and righteousness as your taskmaster.
18 Then[r] violence will no longer be heard in your land,
nor devastation or destruction within your borders;
but you’ll call your walls ‘Salvation’,
and your gates ‘Praise’.
19 “The sun will no longer be your light by day,
nor for brightness will the moon shine on you by night[s]—
for the Lord will be your everlasting light,[t]
and your God will be your glory.
20 Your sun won’t[u] set,
nor will your moon withdraw itself—
for the Lord will be your everlasting light,
and your days of mourning will end.
21 Then your people will all be righteous;
They’ll possess the land forever.
They are the shoot[v] that the Lord planted,[w]
the works[x] of his hands,
so that I might be glorified.
22 The least of them will become a thousand,
and the smallest one a mighty nation.
“I am the Lord;
When the time is right,[y] I will do this swiftly.”
- Isaiah 60:1 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX read and the glory
- Isaiah 60:2 Lit. peoples
- Isaiah 60:3 So 1QIsaa; MT reads kings to the brightness of; cf. LXX
- Isaiah 60:4 Or arm
- Isaiah 60:5 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT read will throb and swell with joy LXX reads you will be amazed in your heart
- Isaiah 60:6 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT read Ephah
- Isaiah 60:6 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT read Sheba
- Isaiah 60:7 So 1QIsaa LXX; 1QIsab MT lack and
- Isaiah 60:7 So 1QIsaa cf. LXX; 1QIsab MT read upon the acceptance of
- Isaiah 60:8 I.e. dovecotes, cages in which pet doves are housed
- Isaiah 60:9 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX read your
- Isaiah 60:11 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX lack and
- Isaiah 60:13 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX lack He has given you
- Isaiah 60:13 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX read Lebanon will come
- Isaiah 60:13 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT lack and
- Isaiah 60:13 i.e. a species of trees that could readily be stripped of their bark; cf. Gen 30:37
- Isaiah 60:14 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX lack All
- Isaiah 60:18 So 1QIsaa LXX; 1QIsab MT lack Then
- Isaiah 60:19 So 1QIsaa LXX. Not in 1QIsab MT
- Isaiah 60:19 1QIsab lacks and your God … light; 1QIsaa MT LXX contain the longer reading
- Isaiah 60:20 So 1QIsaa LXX; MT reads will no longer
- Isaiah 60:21 So 1QIsaa 4QIsam MT; 1QIsaa MTms lacks the shoot; LXX reads Guarding
- Isaiah 60:21 Lit. of the plantings of the Lord; so 1QIsaa; 1QIsab reads of his plantings MT reads of his planting MTqere reads of my planting LXX reads the planting
- Isaiah 60:21 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT read work
- Isaiah 60:22 Lit. In its time