The Passion Translation
Judgment by Fire and Sword
14 When you feast your eyes on this,
your heart will leap for joy and be revived;
your body will flourish and sprout like grass.[a]
The mighty power[b] of Yahweh will be revealed,
resting on his servants,
but his fury will be shown to his enemies!
15 Look! Yahweh is coming as a raging fire
and his chariots like a whirlwind[c]
to unleash his anger with fiery fury
and with the fiery lightning of his rebuke![d]
16 For with fire[e] and with his sword[f]
Yahweh will judge[g] humanity—
many will be the slain of Yahweh!
- Isaiah 66:14 Or “Your bones (a metaphor for your inner being) will sprout like grass (flourish).” Some commentators view this as physical health and well-being.
- Isaiah 66:14 Or “hand,” a metaphor for his power and anointing.
- Isaiah 66:15 See 2 Kings 2:1-18; Ezek. 1:4-28.
- Isaiah 66:15 See Zech. 9:14; Heb. 12:29.
- Isaiah 66:16 See Jer. 23:29-32.
- Isaiah 66:16 See Heb. 4:12.
- Isaiah 66:16 Or “contend” or “plead.” See Amos 7:4-6.