New English Translation
5 I looked, but there was no one to help;
I was shocked because there was no one offering support.[a]
So my right arm accomplished deliverance;
my raging anger drove me on.[b]
6 I trampled nations in my anger;
I made them drunk[c] in my rage;
I splashed their blood on the ground.”[d]
A Prayer for Divine Intervention
7 I will tell of the faithful acts of the Lord,
of the Lord’s praiseworthy deeds.
I will tell about all[e] the Lord did for us,
the many good things he did for the family of Israel,[f]
because of[g] his compassion and great faithfulness.
- Isaiah 63:5 sn See Isa 59:16 for similar language.
- Isaiah 63:5 tn Heb “and my anger, it supported me”; NIV “my own wrath sustained me.”
- Isaiah 63:6 sn See Isa 49:26 and 51:23 for similar imagery.
- Isaiah 63:6 tn Heb “and I brought down to the ground their juice.” “Juice” refers to their blood (see v. 3).
- Isaiah 63:7 tn Heb “according to all which.”
- Isaiah 63:7 tn Heb “greatness of goodness to the house of Israel which he did for them.”
- Isaiah 63:7 tn Heb “according to.”