The Passion Translation
The Glorious New Day
60 “Rise up in splendor and be radiant,[a] for your light has dawned,
and Yahweh’s glory[b] now streams from you!
2 Look carefully! Darkness blankets the earth,
and thick gloom[c] covers the nations,
but Yahweh arises[d] upon you
and the brightness of his glory appears over you![e]
- Isaiah 60:1 Or “break forth with the light of (a new) day.” See Eph. 5:27. Applying vv. 1–2 to the church, we see Jesus as the Light that shines upon us (John 8:12; 2 Cor. 4:6) and the light of the church shining upon the nations (Matt. 5:14-16).
- Isaiah 60:1 Here Isaiah begins a new section in his masterpiece. The theme of these last seven chapters is The Glorious New Day, corresponding to the Feast of Tabernacles. The Hebrew word for “glory” appears twenty-three times in chs. 60–66. A possible outline of these chapters is: (60) A New Day. (61) A New Priesthood. (62) A New Wedding. (63) A New Mercy. (64) A New Prayer. (65) A New Heaven and a New Earth. (66) A New Jerusalem.
- Isaiah 60:2 Or “thick clouds.”
- Isaiah 60:2 Or “breaks out over you.”
- Isaiah 60:2 See Isa. 60:19-22; Mal. 4:2; Rev. 21:2-3.