International Standard Version
5 “Is this the kind of fast that I have chosen,
merely a day for a person to humble himself?
Is it merely for bowing down one’s head like a bulrush,
for lying[a] on sackcloth and ashes?
Is this what you[b] call a fast,
an[c] acceptable day to the Lord?
6 Isn’t this the[d] fast that[e] I have been choosing:
to loose the bonds of injustice,
and[f] to untie the cords of the yoke,
and[g] to let the oppressed go free,
and to break every yoke?
7 Isn’t it to share your bread with the hungry,
and to bring the homeless poor into your house;
when you see the naked,
to cover him with clothing,[h]
and not to raise yourself up[i] from your own flesh and blood?”
- Isaiah 58:5 So 1QIsaa 1QIsab; MT LXX read and for lying
- Isaiah 58:5 So 1QIsaa 4QIsad LXX (pl.); 1QIsab MT (sing.)
- Isaiah 58:5 So 1QIsaa 1QIsab; MT reads and an
- Isaiah 58:6 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX lack the
- Isaiah 58:6 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX lack that
- Isaiah 58:6 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX lack and
- Isaiah 58:6 So 1QIsaa MT; 1QIsab 4QIsad LXX lack and
- Isaiah 58:7 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT LXX lack with clothing
- Isaiah 58:7 So 1QIsaa; 1QIsab MT read to hide yourself; LXX reads to disregard