New English Translation
6 “Indeed, the Lord will call you back
like a wife who has been abandoned and suffers from depression,[a]
like a young wife when she has been rejected,” says your God.
7 “For a short time I abandoned[b] you,
but with great compassion I will gather you.
8 In a burst[c] of anger I rejected you[d] momentarily,
but with lasting devotion I will have compassion on you,”
says your Protector,[e] the Lord.
- Isaiah 54:6 tn Heb “like a woman abandoned and grieved in spirit.”
- Isaiah 54:7 tn Or “forsook” (NASB).
- Isaiah 54:8 tn According to BDB 1009 s.v. שֶׁטֶף the noun שֶׁצֶף here is an alternate form of שֶׁטֶף (shetef, “flood”). Some relate the word to an alleged Akkadian cognate meaning “strength.”
- Isaiah 54:8 tn Heb “I hid my face from you.”
- Isaiah 54:8 tn Or “redeemer.” See the note at 41:14.