1599 Geneva Bible
53 1 Of Christ and his kingdom, whose word few will believe. 6 All men are sinners. 11 Christ is our righteousness, 12 and is dead for our sins.
3 He is despised and rejected of men: he is a man full of sorrows, and hath experience of [e]infirmities: we hid as it were our faces from him: he was despised, and we esteemed him not.Read full chapter
- Isaiah 53:1 The Prophet showeth that very few shall receive this their preaching of Christ, and of their deliverance by him, John 12:38; Rom. 10:16.
- Isaiah 53:1 Meaning, that none can believe, but whose hearts God toucheth with the virtue of his holy Spirit.
- Isaiah 53:2 The beginning of Christ’s kingdom shall be small and contemptible in the sight of man, but it shall grow wonderfully, and flourish before God.
- Isaiah 53:2 Read Isa. 11:1.
- Isaiah 53:3 Which was by God’s singular providence for the comfort of sinners, Heb. 4:15.