New English Translation
3 “Listen to me, O family of Jacob,[a]
all you who are left from the family of Israel,[b]
you who have been carried from birth,[c]
you who have been supported from the time you left the womb.[d]
4 Even when you are old, I will take care of you,[e]
even when you have gray hair, I will carry you.
I made you and I will support you;
I will carry you and rescue you.[f]
5 To whom can you compare and liken me?
Tell me whom you think I resemble, so we can be compared!
- Isaiah 46:3 tn Heb “house of Jacob”; TEV “descendants of Jacob.”
- Isaiah 46:3 tn Heb “and all the remnant of the house of Israel.”
- Isaiah 46:3 tn Heb “from the womb” (so NRSV); KJV “from the belly”; NAB “from your infancy.”
- Isaiah 46:3 tn Heb “who have been lifted up from the womb.”
- Isaiah 46:4 tn Heb “until old age, I am he” (NRSV similar); NLT “I will be your God throughout your lifetime.”
- Isaiah 46:4 sn Unlike the weary idol gods, whose images must be carried by animals, the Lord carries his weary people.