New English Translation
2 When you pass through the waters, I am with you;
when you pass[a] through the streams, they will not overwhelm you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned;
the flames will not harm[b] you.
3 For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel,[c] your deliverer.
I have handed over Egypt as a ransom price,
Ethiopia and Seba[d] in place of you.
4 Since you are precious and special in my sight,[e]
and I love you,
I will hand over people in place of you,
nations in place of your life.
- Isaiah 43:2 tn The verb is understood by ellipsis (note the preceding line).
- Isaiah 43:2 tn Heb “burn” (so NASB); NAB, NRSV, NLT “consume”; NIV “set you ablaze.”
- Isaiah 43:3 sn See the note on the phrase “the Holy One of Israel” in 1:4.
- Isaiah 43:3 sn Seba is not the same as Sheba in southern Arabia; cf. Gen 1:10; 1 Chr 1:9.
- Isaiah 43:4 tn Heb “Since you are precious in my eyes and you are honored.”