New English Translation
Egypt Will Disappoint
31 Those who go down to Egypt for help are as good as dead;[a]
those who rely on war horses,
and trust in Egypt’s many chariots[b]
and in their many, many horsemen.[c]
But they do not rely on the Holy One of Israel[d]
and do not seek help from the Lord.
2 Yet he too is wise[e] and he will bring disaster;
he does not retract his decree.[f]
He will attack the wicked nation,[g]
and the nation that helps[h] those who commit sin.[i]
- Isaiah 31:1 tn Heb “Woe [to] those who go down to Egypt for help.”
- Isaiah 31:1 tn Heb “and trust in chariots for they are many.”
- Isaiah 31:1 tn Heb “and in horsemen for they are very strong [or “numerous”].”
- Isaiah 31:1 sn See the note on the phrase “the Holy One of Israel” in 1:4.
- Isaiah 31:2 sn This statement appears to have a sarcastic tone. The royal advisers who are advocating an alliance with Egypt think they are wise, but the Lord possesses wisdom as well and will thwart their efforts.
- Isaiah 31:2 tn Heb “and he does not turn aside [i.e., “retract”] his words”; NIV “does not take back his words.”
- Isaiah 31:2 tn Heb “and he will arise against the house of the wicked.”
- Isaiah 31:2 sn That is, Egypt.
- Isaiah 31:2 tn Heb “and against the help of the doers of sin.”