New English Translation
19 The downtrodden will again rejoice in the Lord;
the poor among humankind will take delight[a] in the Holy One of Israel.[b]
20 For tyrants will disappear,
those who taunt will vanish,
and all those who love to do wrong will be eliminated[c]—
21 those who bear false testimony against a person,[d]
who entrap the one who arbitrates at the city gate[e]
and deprive the innocent of justice by making false charges.[f]
- Isaiah 29:19 tn Or “will rejoice” (NIV, NCV, NLT).
- Isaiah 29:19 sn See the note on the phrase “the Holy One of Israel” in 1:4.
- Isaiah 29:20 tn Heb “and all the watchers of wrong will be cut off.”
- Isaiah 29:21 tn Heb “the ones who make a man a sinner with a word.” The Hiphil of חָטָא (khataʾ) here has a delocutive sense: “declare a man sinful/guilty.”
- Isaiah 29:21 sn Legal disputes were resolved at the city gate, where the town elders met. See Amos 5:10.
- Isaiah 29:21 tn Heb “and deprive by emptiness the innocent.”