International Standard Version
14 Therefore, watch out!
A Rebuke to the Deceptive
15 “How terrible it will be for you who go to great depths
to hide your plans from the Lord,
you whose deeds have been[c] done[d] in the dark,
and who say, ‘Who can see us?
Who has recognized[e] us?’
16 He has turned the tables on you[f]—
as if the potter were thought to be like heat.[g]
Can what is made say of the one who made it,
‘He did not make me?’
Or can what is formed say of the ones[h] who formed it,
‘He has no skill?’
- Isaiah 29:14 So 1QIsaa LXX; the Heb. lacks as for me
- Isaiah 29:14 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX read insight
- Isaiah 29:15 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX read deeds are (or will be)
- Isaiah 29:15 DSS MT lack done
- Isaiah 29:15 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX read recognizes
- Isaiah 29:16 So 1QIsaa; MT reads You turn things upside down!
- Isaiah 29:16 I.e. the fire in a kiln; so 1QIsaa; MT LXX read clay
- Isaiah 29:16 So 1QIsaa; MT LXX read one