New English Translation
21 For the Lord will rise up, as he did at Mount Perazim;[a]
he will rouse himself, as he did in the Valley of Gibeon,[b]
to accomplish his work,
his peculiar work,
to perform his task,
his strange task.[c]
22 So now, do not mock,
or your chains will become heavier!
For I have heard a message about decreed destruction,
from the Sovereign Lord of Heaven’s Armies against the entire land.[d]
23 Pay attention and listen to my message.[e]
Be attentive and listen to what I have to say![f]
- Isaiah 28:21 sn This probably alludes to David’s victory over the Philistines at Baal Perazim. See 2 Sam 5:20.
- Isaiah 28:21 sn This probably alludes to the Lord’s victory over the Canaanites at Gibeon, during the days of Joshua. See Josh 10:10-11.
- Isaiah 28:21 sn God’s judgment of his own people is called “his peculiar work” and “his strange task,” because he must deal with them the way he treated their enemies in the past.
- Isaiah 28:22 tn Or “the whole earth” (KJV, ASV, NAB, NCV).
- Isaiah 28:23 tn Heb “to my voice.”
- Isaiah 28:23 tn Heb “to my word”; cf. KJV, ASV, NRSV “hear my speech.”