The Passion Translation
13 Stop bringing your meaningless offerings.[a]
Your burning incense stinks!
Your sin-stained celebrations,[b]
your new moon festivals, Sabbaths,
your various pious meetings—I can’t stand them!
14 With all my soul[c] I hate
your new moon festivals and your feasts;[d]
they are nothing but a burden
that I’m sick and tired of carrying.
15 When you stretch out your hands to pray,
I will hide my eyes from you.[e]
Repeat your prayers all you want, but I will not listen,
for your hands are stained with innocent blood.
- Isaiah 1:13 Or “your gifts of nothing.”
- Isaiah 1:13 Or “iniquity and obligatory assemblies,” a likely hendiadys. See also Jer. 7:11.
- Isaiah 1:14 God has a soul with emotions and desires. He is perfect throughout.
- Isaiah 1:14 God calls them “your feasts,” not his (Lev. 23:2). Their celebrations had become so shame-fully sin-stained that God didn’t even want his holy name associated with their sinful conduct on those sacred days. See Amos 5:21– 24.
- Isaiah 1:15 See 1 Tim. 2:8; Ps. 66:18.