1599 Geneva Bible
17 And the land of Judah shall be a fear [a]unto Egypt: everyone that maketh mention of it, shall be afraid thereat, because of the counsel of the Lord of hosts, which he hath determined upon it.
19 In that day shall the altar of the Lord be in the midst of the land of Egypt, and [e]a pillar by the border thereof unto the Lord.Read full chapter
- Isaiah 19:17 Considering that through their occasion the Jews made not God their defense: but put their trust in them, and were therefore now punished, they shall fear lest the like light upon them.
- Isaiah 19:18 Shall make one confession of faith with the people of God: by the speech of Canaan, meaning the language wherein God was then served.
- Isaiah 19:18 Shall renounce their superstitions and protest to serve God aright.
- Isaiah 19:18 Meaning, of six cities, five should serve God, and the sixth remain in their wickedness: and so of the sixth part there should be but one lost.
- Isaiah 19:19 There shall be evident signs and tokens, that God’s religion is there: which manner of speech is taken of the Patriarchs and ancient times, when God hath not as yet appointed the place, and full manner how he would be worshipped.