The Passion Translation
2 sending their messengers by the way of the Nile
in papyrus vessels gliding on the water!
Go, you swift messengers,
to a tall, smooth-skinned people[a] feared far and wide,
to a mighty conquering nation whose land the rivers divide.[b]
3 Everyone everywhere, all who dwell on the earth,
when a signal flag is raised on the mountain, take notice!
When the shofar is blown, listen!
4 Here is what the Lord Yahweh said to me:
“I will rest calm and confident[c] as I look from my dwelling place,[d]
serene as on a pleasant summer day[e]
or a cool, refreshing cloud[f] in the heat of harvest.”
- Isaiah 18:2 The meaning of this Hebrew clause is uncertain.
- Isaiah 18:2 That is, the Upper Nile region. The land is divided by the White Nile and the Blue Nile rivers.
- Isaiah 18:4 See Isa. 57:20; 62:1; Heb. 3–4.
- Isaiah 18:4 The body of Christ is now his dwelling place (Eph. 2:19-22).
- Isaiah 18:4 The meaning of this Hebrew clause is uncertain.
- Isaiah 18:4 See Isa. 19:1; 25:5; 44:22; 60:8.