New English Translation
9 Look, the Lord’s day of judgment[a] is coming;
it is a day of cruelty and savage, raging anger,[b]
destroying[c] the earth[d]
and annihilating its sinners.
10 Indeed the stars in the sky and their constellations
no longer give out their light;[e]
the sun is darkened as soon as it rises,
and the moon does not shine.[f]
11 [g] I will punish the world for its evil,[h]
and wicked people for their sin.
I will put an end to the pride of the insolent,
I will bring down the arrogance of tyrants.[i]
12 I will make human beings more scarce than pure gold,
and people more scarce[j] than gold from Ophir.
13 So I will shake the heavens,[k]
and the earth will shake loose from its foundation,[l]
because of the fury of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies,
in the day he vents his raging anger.[m]
- Isaiah 13:9 tn Heb “the day of the Lord.”
- Isaiah 13:9 tn Heb “[with] cruelty, and fury, and rage of anger.” Three synonyms for “anger” are piled up at the end of the line to emphasize the extraordinary degree of divine anger that will be exhibited in this judgment.
- Isaiah 13:9 tn Heb “making desolate.”
- Isaiah 13:9 tn Or “land” (KJV, NAB, NASB, NIV, NLT).
- Isaiah 13:10 tn Heb “do not flash forth their light.”
- Isaiah 13:10 tn Heb “does not shed forth its light.”
- Isaiah 13:11 sn The Lord is definitely speaking (again?) at this point. See the note at v. 4.
- Isaiah 13:11 tn Or “I will bring disaster on the world.” Hebrew רָעָה (raʿah) could refer to the judgment (i.e., disaster, calamity) or to the evil that prompts it. The structure of the parallel line favors the latter interpretation.
- Isaiah 13:11 tn Or perhaps, “the violent”; cf. NASB, NIV “the ruthless.”
- Isaiah 13:12 tn The verb is supplied in the translation from the first line. The verb in the first line (“I will make scarce”) does double duty in the parallel structure of the verse.
- Isaiah 13:13 tn Or “the sky.” The Hebrew term שָׁמַיִם (shamayim) may be translated “heavens” or “sky” depending on the context.
- Isaiah 13:13 tn Heb “from its place” (so NAB, NASB, NIV, NCV).
- Isaiah 13:13 tn Heb “and in the day of the raging of his anger.”