New English Translation
10 Beware, those who enact unjust policies;[a]
those who are always instituting unfair regulations,[b]
2 to keep the poor from getting fair treatment,
and to deprive[c] the oppressed among my people of justice,
so they can steal what widows own,
and loot what belongs to orphans.[d]
3 What will you do on judgment day,[e]
when destruction arrives from a distant place?
To whom will you run for help?
Where will you leave your wealth?
- Isaiah 10:1 tn Heb “Woe [to] those who decree evil decrees.”
- Isaiah 10:1 tn Heb “[to] the writers who write out harm.” The participle and verb are in the Piel, suggesting repetitive action.
- Isaiah 10:2 tn Or “rob” (ASV, NASB, NCV, NRSV); KJV “take away the right from the poor.”
- Isaiah 10:2 tn Heb “so that widows are their plunder, and they can loot orphans.”sn On the socio-economic background of vv. 1-2, see the note at 1:23.
- Isaiah 10:3 tn Heb “the day of visitation” (so KJV, ASV), that is, the day when God arrives to execute justice on the oppressors.