New International Version
7 He was oppressed(D) and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;(E)
he was led like a lamb(F) to the slaughter,(G)
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
8 By oppression[a] and judgment(H) he was taken away.
Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;(I)
for the transgression(J) of my people he was punished.[b]
9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,(K)
and with the rich(L) in his death,
though he had done no violence,(M)
nor was any deceit in his mouth.(N)
10 Yet it was the Lord’s will(O) to crush(P) him and cause him to suffer,(Q)
and though the Lord makes[c] his life an offering for sin,(R)
he will see his offspring(S) and prolong his days,
and the will of the Lord will prosper(T) in his hand.
11 After he has suffered,(U)
he will see the light(V) of life[d] and be satisfied[e];
by his knowledge[f] my righteous servant(W) will justify(X) many,
and he will bear their iniquities.(Y)
12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,[g](Z)
and he will divide the spoils(AA) with the strong,[h]
because he poured out his life unto death,(AB)
and was numbered with the transgressors.(AC)
For he bore(AD) the sin of many,(AE)
and made intercession(AF) for the transgressors.
- Isaiah 53:8 Or From arrest
- Isaiah 53:8 Or generation considered / that he was cut off from the land of the living, / that he was punished for the transgression of my people?
- Isaiah 53:10 Hebrew though you make
- Isaiah 53:11 Dead Sea Scrolls (see also Septuagint); Masoretic Text does not have the light of life.
- Isaiah 53:11 Or (with Masoretic Text) 11 He will see the fruit of his suffering / and will be satisfied
- Isaiah 53:11 Or by knowledge of him
- Isaiah 53:12 Or many
- Isaiah 53:12 Or numerous