New English Translation
23 So it was necessary for the sketches[a] of the things in heaven to be purified with these sacrifices,[b] but the heavenly things themselves required[c] better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with hands—the representation[d] of the true sanctuary[e]—but into heaven itself, and he appears now in God’s presence for us. 25 And he did not enter to offer[f] himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the sanctuary year after year with blood that is not his own,Read full chapter
- Hebrews 9:23 tn Or “prototypes,” “outlines,” referring to the earthly sanctuary. See Heb 8:5 above for the prior use of this term.
- Hebrews 9:23 tn Grk “with these”; in the translation the referent (sacrifices) has been specified for clarity.
- Hebrews 9:23 tn Grk “the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.”
- Hebrews 9:24 tn Or “prefiguration.”
- Hebrews 9:24 tn The word “sanctuary” is not in the Greek text at this point, but has been supplied for clarity.
- Hebrews 9:25 tn Grk “and not that he might offer,” continuing the previous construction.