The Passion Translation
28 Since we are receiving our rights[a] to an unshakeable kingdom[b] we should be extremely thankful and offer God the purest worship that delights his heart[c] as we lay down our lives in absolute surrender, filled with awe.[d] 29 For our God is a holy, devouring fire![e]Read full chapter
- Hebrews 12:28 The Greek word paralambano is often used in classical Greek literature for heirs who have the “rights of succession” (to a throne). (See Aristotle, Pol. 3.14.12; Herodotus, 2.120.)
- Hebrews 12:28 See Dan. 7:18.
- Hebrews 12:28 Or “offer pleasing service to God.”
- Hebrews 12:28 The Aramaic can be translated “We have received grace to serve and we please God in awe and tender devotion” (submission).
- Hebrews 12:29 The Aramaic can be translated “consuming light.” See also Deut. 4:24; 9:3.