Tree of Life Version
Superiority of the Son
1 At many times and in many ways, God spoke long ago to the fathers through the prophets. 2 In these last days He has spoken to us through a Son,[a] whom He appointed heir of all things and through whom He created the universe. 3 This Son is the radiance of His glory and the imprint of His being, upholding all things by His powerful word.[b] When He had made purification for our sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high. [c] 4 Thus He became as far above the angels as the name He has inherited is more excellent than theirs.
5 For to which of the angels did God ever say,
“You are My Son.
Today I have become Your Father”?[d]
“I will be to Him a Father,
and He will be to Me a Son”?[e]
6 And again, when He brings the firstborn into the world, He says,
“Let all the angels of God worship Him.”[f]
7 And regarding the angels He says,
“He makes His angels winds,
and His servants a flame of fire.”[g]
8 But regarding the Son He says,
“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
and a scepter of uprightness is the scepter of Your Kingdom.
9 You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness;
therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness above Your companions.”[h]
“In the beginning, Adonai,
You laid the foundation of the earth,
and the heavens are the works of Your hands.
11 They shall pass away, but You remain.
And they will all wear out like clothing.[i]
12 And like a robe You will roll them up,
and like clothing they will be changed;
but You are the same,
and Your years shall never end.”[j]
13 But to which of the angels has He ever said,
14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent out for service to those about to inherit salvation?
- Hebrews 1:2 cf. Matt. 21:37.
- Hebrews 1:3 Lit. the word of His power.
- Hebrews 1:4 cf. Ps. 110:1(109:1 LXX).
- Hebrews 1:5 Ps. 2:7.
- Hebrews 1:5 2 Sam. 7:14; 1 Chr. 17:13.
- Hebrews 1:6 Deut. 32:43(LXX); cf. Ps. 96:7(LXX).
- Hebrews 1:7 Lit. He who makes . . .; cf. Ps. 104:4(103:4 LXX).
- Hebrews 1:9 Ps. 45:6-7(6-7)(44:7-8 LXX).
- Hebrews 1:11 cf. Isa. 50:9; 51:6.
- Hebrews 1:12 Ps. 102:26-28(25-27); 101:26-28(LXX).
- Hebrews 1:13 cf. Isa. 66:1; Mt. 5:35.
- Hebrews 1:13 cf. Ps. 110:1(109:1 LXX).