New English Translation
25 because of the God of your father,
who will help you,[a]
because of the Sovereign God,[b]
who will bless you[c]
with blessings from the sky above,
blessings from the deep that lies below,
and blessings of the breasts and womb.[d]
26 The blessings of your father are greater
than[e] the blessings of the eternal mountains[f]
or the desirable things of the age-old hills.
They will be on the head of Joseph
and on the brow of the prince of his brothers.[g]
27 Benjamin is a ravenous wolf;
in the morning devouring the prey,
and in the evening dividing the plunder.”
- Genesis 49:25 tn Heb “and he will help you.”
- Genesis 49:25 tn Heb “Shaddai.” See the note on the title “Sovereign God” in Gen 17:1. The preposition אֵת (ʾet) in the Hebrew text should probably be emended to אֵל (ʾel, “God”).
- Genesis 49:25 tn Heb “and he will bless you.”
- Genesis 49:25 sn Jacob envisions God imparting both agricultural (blessings from the sky above, blessings from the deep that lies below) and human fertility (blessings of the breasts and womb) to Joseph and his family.
- Genesis 49:26 tn Heb “have prevailed over.”
- Genesis 49:26 tn One could interpret the phrase הוֹרַי (horay) to mean “my progenitors” (literally, “the ones who conceived me”), but the masculine form argues against this. It is better to emend the text to הַרֲרֵי (harare, “mountains of”) because it forms a better parallel with the next clause. In this case the final yod (י) on the form is a construct plural marker, not a pronominal suffix.
- Genesis 49:26 tn For further discussion of this passage, see I. Sonne, “Genesis 49:24-26, ” JBL 65 (1946): 303-6.