New English Translation
4 But Esau ran to meet him, embraced him, hugged his neck, and kissed him. Then they both wept. 5 When Esau[a] looked up[b] and saw the women and the children, he asked, “Who are these people with you?” Jacob[c] replied, “The children whom God has graciously given[d] your servant.” 6 The female servants came forward with their children and bowed down.[e]Read full chapter
- Genesis 33:5 tn Heb “and he”; the referent (Esau) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Genesis 33:5 tn Heb “lifted up his eyes.”
- Genesis 33:5 tn Heb “and he”; the referent (Jacob) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Genesis 33:5 tn The Hebrew verb means “to be gracious; to show favor”; here it carries the nuance “to give graciously.”
- Genesis 33:6 tn Heb “and the female servants drew near, they and their children and they bowed down.”