New English Translation
10 Then Abraham reached out his hand, took the knife, and prepared to slaughter[a] his son. 11 But the angel of the Lord[b] called to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!” “Here I am!” he answered. 12 “Do not harm the boy!”[c] the angel said.[d] “Do not do anything to him, for now I know[e] that you fear[f] God because you did not withhold your son, your only son, from me.”Read full chapter
- Genesis 22:10 tn Heb “in order to slaughter.”
- Genesis 22:11 sn Heb “the messenger of the Lord” (also in v. 15). Some identify the angel of the Lord as the preincarnate Christ because in some texts the angel is identified with the Lord himself. However, see the note on the phrase “the angel of the Lord” in Gen 16:7.
- Genesis 22:12 tn Heb “Do not extend your hand toward the boy.”
- Genesis 22:12 tn Heb “and he said, ‘Do not extend…’”; the referent (the angel) has been specified in the context for clarity. The order of the introductory clause and the direct discourse has been rearranged in the translation for stylistic reasons.
- Genesis 22:12 sn For now I know. The test was designed to see if Abraham would be obedient (see v. 1).
- Genesis 22:12 sn In this context fear refers by metonymy to obedience that grows from faith.