New International Version
The Sons of Noah
18 The sons of Noah who came out of the ark were Shem, Ham and Japheth.(A) (Ham was the father of Canaan.)(B) 19 These were the three sons of Noah,(C) and from them came the people who were scattered over the whole earth.(D)
20 Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded[a] to plant a vineyard. 21 When he drank some of its wine,(E) he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent. 22 Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father naked(F) and told his two brothers outside. 23 But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backward and covered their father’s naked body. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father naked.
24 When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him, 25 he said,
26 He also said,
“Praise be to the Lord, the God of Shem!(J)
May Canaan be the slave(K) of Shem.
27 May God extend Japheth’s[b] territory;(L)
may Japheth live in the tents of Shem,(M)
and may Canaan be the slave of Japheth.”
28 After the flood Noah lived 350 years. 29 Noah lived a total of 950 years, and then he died.(N)
The Table of Nations
2 The sons[c] of Japheth:
3 The sons of Gomer:
4 The sons of Javan:
Elishah,(Z) Tarshish,(AA) the Kittites(AB) and the Rodanites.[d] 5 (From these the maritime peoples spread out into their territories by their clans within their nations, each with its own language.)(AC)
6 The sons of Ham:
7 The sons of Cush:
The sons of Raamah:
8 Cush was the father[e] of Nimrod,(AM) who became a mighty warrior on the earth. 9 He was a mighty(AN) hunter(AO) before the Lord; that is why it is said, “Like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the Lord.” 10 The first centers of his kingdom were Babylon,(AP) Uruk,(AQ) Akkad and Kalneh,(AR) in[f] Shinar.[g](AS) 11 From that land he went to Assyria,(AT) where he built Nineveh,(AU) Rehoboth Ir,[h] Calah 12 and Resen, which is between Nineveh and Calah—which is the great city.
13 Egypt was the father of
15 Canaan(AX) was the father of
Later the Canaanite(BH) clans scattered 19 and the borders of Canaan(BI) reached from Sidon(BJ) toward Gerar(BK) as far as Gaza,(BL) and then toward Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah and Zeboyim,(BM) as far as Lasha.
- Genesis 9:20 Or soil, was the first
- Genesis 9:27 Japheth sounds like the Hebrew for extend.
- Genesis 10:2 Sons may mean descendants or successors or nations; also in verses 3, 4, 6, 7, 20-23, 29 and 31.
- Genesis 10:4 Some manuscripts of the Masoretic Text and Samaritan Pentateuch (see also Septuagint and 1 Chron. 1:7); most manuscripts of the Masoretic Text Dodanites
- Genesis 10:8 Father may mean ancestor or predecessor or founder; also in verses 13, 15, 24 and 26.
- Genesis 10:10 Or Uruk and Akkad—all of them in
- Genesis 10:10 That is, Babylonia
- Genesis 10:11 Or Nineveh with its city squares
- Genesis 10:15 Or of the Sidonians, the foremost