1599 Geneva Bible
6 He showeth that Jerusalem shall be destroyed for their idolatry. 8 He prophesieth the repentance of the remnant of the people, and their deliverance.
1 Again the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,
2 Son of man, Set thy face towards the (A)mountains of Israel, and prophesy against them,
3 And say, Ye mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Lord God: thus saith the Lord God to the [a]mountains and to the hills, to the rivers and to the valleys, Behold, I, even I will bring a sword upon you, and I will destroy your high places:
4 And your altars shall be desolate, and your images of the [b]Sun shall be broken: and I will cast down your slain men before your idols.
6 In all your dwelling places the cities shall be desolate, and the high places shall be laid waste, so that your altars shall be made waste and desolate, and your idols shall be broken and cease, and your images of the Sun shall be cut in pieces, and your works shall be abolished.
7 And the slain shall fall in the midst of you, and ye shall know that I am the Lord.
8 Yet will I leave a remnant, [d]that you may have some that shall escape the sword among the nations, when you shall be scattered through the countries.
9 And they that escape of you, shall remember me among the nations, where they shall be in captivity, because I am grieved for their whorish hearts, which have departed from me, and for their eyes, which have gone a whoring after their idols, and they [e]shall be displeased in themselves for the evils which they have committed in all their abominations.
10 And they shall know that I am the Lord, and that I have not said in vain, that I would do this evil unto them.
11 Thus saith the Lord God, [f]Smite with thine hand, and stretch forth with thy foot, and say, Alas, for all the wicked abominations of the house of Israel: for they shall fall by the sword, by the famine, and by the pestilence.
12 He that is far off, shall die of the pestilence, and he that is near, shall fall by the sword, and he that remaineth and is besieged, shall die by the famine: thus will I accomplish my wrath upon them.
13 Then [g]ye shall know, that I am the Lord, when their slain men shall be among their idols round about their altars, upon every high hill in all the tops of the mountains, and under every green tree, and under every thick oak, which is the place where they did offer sweet savor to all their idols.
- Ezekiel 6:3 He speaketh to all the places where the Israelites accustomed to commit their idolatries, threatening them destruction.
- Ezekiel 6:4 Read 2 Kings 23:11.
- Ezekiel 6:5 In contempt of their power and force, which shall neither be able to deliver you nor themselves.
- Ezekiel 6:8 He showeth that in all dangers God will preserve a few, which shall be as the seed of his Church and call upon his Name.
- Ezekiel 6:9 They shall be ashamed to see that their hope in idols was but vain, and so shall repent.
- Ezekiel 6:11 By these signs he would that the Prophet should signify the great destruction to come.
- Ezekiel 6:13 That is, all nations when you shall see my judgments.
- Ezekiel 6:14 Some read, more desolate than the wilderness of Diblath, which was in Syria, and bordered upon Israel, or from the wilderness, which was South unto Diblath, which was North: meaning, the whole country.