New English Translation
9 “‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Enough, you princes of Israel! Put away violence and destruction and do what is just and right. Put an end to your evictions of my people,[a] declares the Sovereign Lord. 10 You must use just balances,[b] a just dry measure (an ephah),[c] and a just liquid measure (a bath).[d] 11 The dry and liquid measures will be the same: The bath will contain a tenth of a homer,[e] and the ephah a tenth of a homer; the homer will be the standard measure.Read full chapter
- Ezekiel 45:9 sn Evictions of the less fortunate by the powerful are described in 1 Kgs 21:1-16; Jer 22:1-5, 13-17; Ezek 22:25.
- Ezekiel 45:10 sn Previous legislation regarding this practice may be found in Lev 19:35-36; Deut 25:13-16; Mic 6:10-12.
- Ezekiel 45:10 tn Heb “ephah,” which was 1/2 bushel.
- Ezekiel 45:10 tn Heb “bath,” a liquid measure, was 5 1/2 gallons.
- Ezekiel 45:11 sn The homer was about 5 bushels as a dry measure and 55 gallons as a liquid measure.