New English Translation
10 “And you, son of man, say to the house of Israel, ‘This is what you have said: “Our rebellious acts and our sins have caught up with us,[a] and we are wasting away because of them. How then can we live?”’ 11 Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but prefer that the wicked change his behavior[b] and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil deeds![c] Why should you die, O house of Israel?’
12 “And you, son of man, say to your people,[d] ‘The righteousness of the righteous will not deliver him if he rebels.[e] As for the wicked, his wickedness will not make him stumble if he turns from it.[f] The righteous will not be able to live by his righteousness[g] if he sins.’[h]Read full chapter
- Ezekiel 33:10 tn Heb “(are) upon us.”
- Ezekiel 33:11 tn Heb “turn from his way.”
- Ezekiel 33:11 tn Heb “ways.” This same word is translated “behavior” earlier in the verse.
- Ezekiel 33:12 tn Heb “the sons of your people.”
- Ezekiel 33:12 tn Heb “in the day of his rebellion.” The statement envisions a godly person rejecting what is good and becoming sinful. See D. I. Block, Ezekiel (NICOT), 2:247-48.
- Ezekiel 33:12 tn Heb “and the wickedness of the wicked, he will not stumble in it in the day of his turning from his wickedness.”
- Ezekiel 33:12 tn Heb “by it.”
- Ezekiel 33:12 tn Heb “in the day of his sin.”