New English Translation
10 “And you, son of man, say to the house of Israel, ‘This is what you have said: “Our rebellious acts and our sins have caught up with us,[a] and we are wasting away because of them. How then can we live?”’ 11 Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but prefer that the wicked change his behavior[b] and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil deeds![c] Why should you die, O house of Israel?’
12 “And you, son of man, say to your people,[d] ‘The righteousness of the righteous will not deliver him if he rebels.[e] As for the wicked, his wickedness will not make him stumble if he turns from it.[f] The righteous will not be able to live by his righteousness[g] if he sins.’[h]Read full chapter
- Ezekiel 33:10 tn Heb “(are) upon us.”
- Ezekiel 33:11 tn Heb “turn from his way.”
- Ezekiel 33:11 tn Heb “ways.” This same word is translated “behavior” earlier in the verse.
- Ezekiel 33:12 tn Heb “the sons of your people.”
- Ezekiel 33:12 tn Heb “in the day of his rebellion.” The statement envisions a godly person rejecting what is good and becoming sinful. See D. I. Block, Ezekiel (NICOT), 2:247-48.
- Ezekiel 33:12 tn Heb “and the wickedness of the wicked, he will not stumble in it in the day of his turning from his wickedness.”
- Ezekiel 33:12 tn Heb “by it.”
- Ezekiel 33:12 tn Heb “in the day of his sin.”
New International Version
10 “Son of man, say to the Israelites, ‘This is what you are saying: “Our offenses and sins weigh us down, and we are wasting away(A) because of[a] them. How then can we live?(B)”’ 11 Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.(C) Turn!(D) Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?’(E)
12 “Therefore, son of man, say to your people,(F) ‘If someone who is righteous disobeys, that person’s former righteousness will count for nothing. And if someone who is wicked repents, that person’s former wickedness will not bring condemnation. The righteous person who sins will not be allowed to live even though they were formerly righteous.’(G)
- Ezekiel 33:10 Or away in