New English Translation
8 You must eat bread made without yeast for six days. The seventh day you are to hold an assembly for the Lord your God; you must not do any work on that day.[a]
The Feast of Weeks
9 You must count seven weeks; you must begin to count them[b] from the time you begin to harvest the standing grain. 10 Then you are to celebrate the Feast of Weeks[c] before the Lord your God with the voluntary offering[d] that you will bring, in proportion to how he[e] has blessed you.Read full chapter
- Deuteronomy 16:8 tn The words “on that day” are not in the Hebrew text; they are supplied in the translation for clarification (cf. TEV, NLT).
- Deuteronomy 16:9 tn Heb “the seven weeks.” The translation uses a pronoun to avoid redundancy in English.
- Deuteronomy 16:10 tn The Hebrew phrase חַג שָׁבֻעוֹת (khag shavuʿot) is otherwise known in the OT (Exod 23:16) as קָצִיר (qatsir, “harvest”) and in the NT as πεντηχοστή (pentēhchostē, “Pentecost”).
- Deuteronomy 16:10 tn Heb “the sufficiency of the offering of your hand.”
- Deuteronomy 16:10 tn Heb “the Lord your God.” See note on “he” in 16:1.