New American Standard Bible
Thankfulness for Spiritual Attainments
3 (G)We [d]give thanks to God, (H)the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, 4 (I)since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the (J)love which you have [e]for (K)all the [f]saints; 5 because of the (L)hope (M)reserved for you in [g]heaven, of which you previously (N)heard in the word of truth, [h]the gospel 6 which has come to you, just as [i](O)in all the world also it is bearing (P)fruit and [j]increasing, even as it has been doing in you also since the day you (Q)heard it and [k]understood the grace of God in truth; 7 just as you learned it from (R)Epaphras, our (S)beloved fellow bond-servant, who is a faithful servant of Christ on our behalf, 8 and he also informed us of your (T)love in the Spirit.
9 For this reason we also, (U)since the day we heard about it, (V)have not ceased praying for you and asking that you may be filled with the [l](W)knowledge of His will in all spiritual (X)wisdom and understanding, 10 so that you will (Y)walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, [m](Z)to please Him in all respects, (AA)bearing fruit in every good work and [n]increasing in the [o]knowledge of God; 11 (AB)strengthened with all power, according to [p]His glorious might, [q]for the attaining of all perseverance and [r]patience; (AC)joyously 12 giving thanks to (AD)the Father, who has qualified us [s]to share in (AE)the inheritance of the [t]saints in (AF)light.
The Incomparable Christ
15 [x]He is the (AJ)image of the (AK)invisible God, the (AL)firstborn of all creation: 16 for [y](AM)by Him all things were created, (AN)both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether (AO)thrones, or dominions, or rulers, or authorities—(AP)all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He [z](AQ)is before all things, and in Him all things [aa]hold together. 18 He is also the (AR)head of (AS)the body, the church; and He is (AT)the beginning, (AU)the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. 19 For [ab]it was (AV)the Father’s good pleasure for all (AW)the [ac]fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to (AX)reconcile all things to Himself, (AY)whether things on earth or things in [ad]heaven, having made (AZ)peace through (BA)the blood of His cross.
21 And although you were (BB)previously alienated and hostile in attitude, engaged in evil deeds, 22 yet He has now (BC)reconciled you in His (BD)body of flesh through death, in order to (BE)present you before Him (BF)holy and blameless and beyond reproach— 23 if indeed you continue in [ae]the faith firmly (BG)established and steadfast, and not shifting from the (BH)hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed (BI)in all creation under heaven, (BJ)and of which I, Paul, [af]was made a [ag](BK)minister.
24 (BL)Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh (BM)I am supplementing what is lacking [ah]in Christ’s afflictions in behalf of (BN)His body, which is the church. 25 (BO)I [ai]was made a minister of this church according to the (BP)commission from God granted to me for your benefit, so that I might [aj]fully carry out the preaching of the word of God, 26 that is, (BQ)the mystery which had been hidden from the past ages and generations, but now has been revealed to His [ak]saints, 27 to whom (BR)God willed to make known what (BS)the wealth of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles is, the mystery that is (BT)Christ in you, the (BU)hope of glory. 28 We proclaim Him, (BV)admonishing every person and teaching every person [al]with all (BW)wisdom, so that we may (BX)present every person [am](BY)complete in Christ. 29 For this purpose I also (BZ)labor, (CA)striving (CB)according to His [an]power which [ao]works mightily within me.
You Are Built Up in Christ
2 For I want you to know how great a (CC)struggle I have in your behalf and for those who are at (CD)Laodicea, and for all those who have not [ap]personally seen my face, 2 that their (CE)hearts may be encouraged, having been (CF)knit together in love, and that they would attain to all (CG)the wealth [aq]that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a (CH)true knowledge of (CI)God’s mystery, that is, Christ Himself, 3 in whom are hidden all (CJ)the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. 4 (CK)I say this so that no one will deceive you with (CL)persuasive arguments. 5 For even though I am (CM)absent in body, I am nevertheless with you in spirit, rejoicing [ar]to see [as]your (CN)orderly manner and the (CO)stability of your faith in Christ.
6 Therefore, as you have received (CP)Christ Jesus the Lord, so [at](CQ)walk in Him, 7 having been firmly (CR)rooted and now being (CS)built up in Him and (CT)established [au]in [av]your faith, just as you (CU)were instructed, and overflowing [aw]with gratitude.
8 (CV)See to it that there is no one who takes you captive through (CW)philosophy and empty deception in accordance with human tradition, in accordance with the (CX)elementary principles of the world, [ax]rather than in accordance with Christ. 9 For in Him all the (CY)fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, 10 and in Him you have been (CZ)made [ay]complete, and (DA)He is the head [az]over every (DB)ruler and authority; 11 and in Him (DC)you were also circumcised with a circumcision performed without hands, in the removal of (DD)the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ, 12 having been (DE)buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also (DF)raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who (DG)raised Him from the dead. 13 And [ba]when you were (DH)dead [bb]in your wrongdoings and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He (DI)made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our wrongdoings, 14 having canceled (DJ)the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and (DK)He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 When He had [bc](DL)disarmed the (DM)rulers and authorities, He (DN)made a public display of them, having (DO)triumphed over them through [bd]Him.
16 Therefore, no one is to [be](DP)act as your judge in regard to (DQ)food and (DR)drink, or in respect to a (DS)festival or a (DT)new moon, or a (DU)Sabbath [bf]day— 17 things which are only a (DV)shadow of what is to come; but the [bg]substance [bh]belongs to Christ. 18 Take care that no one keeps [bi](DW)defrauding you of your prize by (DX)delighting in humility and the worship of the angels, [bj]taking his stand on visions he has seen, [bk](DY)inflated without cause by his (DZ)fleshly mind, 19 and not holding firmly to (EA)the head, from whom (EB)the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and [bl]ligaments, grows with a growth [bm]which is from God.
20 (EC)If you have died with Christ [bn]to the (ED)elementary principles of the world, (EE)why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to (EF)decrees, such as, 21 “Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!” 22 (which all refer (EG)to things destined to perish [bo]with use)—in accordance with the (EH)commandments and teachings of man? 23 These are matters which do have the [bp]appearance of wisdom in [bq](EI)self-made religion and humility and (EJ)severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against (EK)fleshly indulgence.
Put On the New Self
3 Therefore, if you have been (EL)raised with Christ, keep seeking the things that are above, where Christ is, (EM)seated at the right hand of God. 2 [br](EN)Set your minds on the things that are above, not on the things that are on earth. 3 For you have (EO)died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, (EP)who is our life, is revealed, (EQ)then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.
5 (ER)Therefore, [bs]treat (ES)the parts of your earthly body as dead to (ET)sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which [bt]amounts to idolatry. 6 For it is because of these things that (EU)the wrath of God is coming [bu]upon the [bv]sons of disobedience, 7 and (EV)in them you also once walked, when you were living [bw]in them. 8 But now you also, (EW)rid yourselves of all of them: (EX)anger, wrath, malice, slander, and (EY)obscene speech from your mouth. 9 [bx](EZ)Do not lie to one another, since you (FA)stripped off the old [by]self with its evil practices, 10 and have (FB)put on the new self, which is being [bz](FC)renewed to a true knowledge (FD)according to the image of the One who (FE)created it— 11 a renewal in which (FF)there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, (FG)circumcised and uncircumcised, [ca](FH)barbarian, [cb]Scythian, (FI)slave, and free, but (FJ)Christ is all, and in all.
12 So, as those who have been (FK)chosen of God, holy and beloved, (FL)put on a (FM)heart of compassion, kindness, (FN)humility, gentleness, and [cc](FO)patience; 13 (FP)bearing with one another, and (FQ)forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; (FR)just as the Lord forgave you, so must you do also. 14 In addition to all these things put on love, which is [cd](FS)the perfect bond of (FT)unity. 15 Let (FU)the peace of Christ, to which you were [ce]indeed called in (FV)one body, [cf]rule in your hearts; and [cg]be thankful. 16 Let (FW)the word of [ch]Christ richly dwell within you, [ci]with all wisdom (FX)teaching and admonishing [cj]one another (FY)with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, (FZ)singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 (GA)Whatever you do in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, (GB)giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
18 (GC)Wives, (GD)be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. 19 (GE)Husbands, love your wives and do not become bitter against them. 20 (GF)Children, obey your parents in everything, for this is pleasing [ck]to the Lord. 21 (GG)Fathers, do not [cl]antagonize your children, so that they will not become discouraged.
22 [cm](GH)Slaves, obey those who are your [cn]human masters in everything, (GI)not with [co]eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, do your work [cp]heartily, (GJ)as for the Lord and not for people, 24 (GK)knowing that it is from the Lord that you will receive the reward [cq]of (GL)the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you (GM)serve. 25 For (GN)the one who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and [cr](GO)that without partiality.
4 Masters, grant your slaves justice and fairness, (GP)knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.
2 (GQ)Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving; 3 praying at the same time (GR)for us as well, that God will open up to us a (GS)door for (GT)the word, so that we may proclaim (GU)the mystery of Christ, for which I have also (GV)been imprisoned; 4 that I may make it clear (GW)in the way that I ought to proclaim it.
5 [cs](GX)Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward (GY)outsiders, [ct](GZ)making the most of the opportunity. 6 (HA)Your speech must always be [cu]with grace, as though seasoned with (HB)salt, so that you will know how you should (HC)respond to each person.
7 (HD)As to all my affairs, (HE)Tychicus, our (HF)beloved brother and faithful servant and fellow bond-servant in the Lord, will bring you information. 8 (HG)For I have sent him to you for this very purpose, that you may know about our circumstances and that he may (HH)encourage your hearts; 9 [cv]and with him is (HI)Onesimus, our faithful and (HJ)beloved brother, (HK)who is one of your own. They will inform you about the whole situation here.
10 (HL)Aristarchus, my (HM)fellow prisoner, sends you his greetings; and also (HN)Barnabas’ cousin Mark (about whom you received [cw]instructions; (HO)if he comes to you, welcome him); 11 and also Jesus who is called Justus; these are the only (HP)fellow workers for the kingdom of God (HQ)who are from the circumcision, and they have proved to be an encouragement to me. 12 (HR)Epaphras, (HS)who is one of your own, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, sends you his greetings, always (HT)striving earnestly for you in his prayers, that you may [cx]stand [cy](HU)mature and [cz]fully assured in all the will of God. 13 For I testify for him that he has [da]a deep concern for you and for those who are in (HV)Laodicea and Hierapolis. 14 (HW)Luke, the beloved physician, sends you his greetings, and (HX)Demas does also. 15 Greet the brothers and sisters who are in (HY)Laodicea and also [db]Nympha and (HZ)the church that is in [dc]her house. 16 (IA)When [dd]this letter is read among you, have it also read in the church of the Laodiceans; and you, for your part, (IB)read [de]my letter that is coming from (IC)Laodicea. 17 Tell (ID)Archippus, “See to the (IE)ministry which you have received in the Lord, so that you may [df]fulfill it.”
- Colossians 1:1 Lit through
- Colossians 1:1 Lit the
- Colossians 1:2 Lit holy ones; i.e., God’s people
- Colossians 1:3 Or always give...praying for you
- Colossians 1:4 Or toward
- Colossians 1:4 Lit holy ones; i.e., God’s people
- Colossians 1:5 Lit the heavens
- Colossians 1:5 Or of the gospel
- Colossians 1:6 Or it is in all the world also, bearing
- Colossians 1:6 Or spreading abroad
- Colossians 1:6 Or came to fully know
- Colossians 1:9 Or real knowledge
- Colossians 1:10 Lit unto all pleasing
- Colossians 1:10 Or growing by the knowledge
- Colossians 1:10 Or real knowledge
- Colossians 1:11 Lit the might of His glory
- Colossians 1:11 Lit unto all
- Colossians 1:11 Or patience with joy
- Colossians 1:12 Lit unto the portion of
- Colossians 1:12 Lit holy ones; i.e., God’s people
- Colossians 1:13 Lit Who rescued
- Colossians 1:13 Lit authority
- Colossians 1:13 Lit the Son of His love
- Colossians 1:15 Lit Who is
- Colossians 1:16 Or in
- Colossians 1:17 Or has existed prior to
- Colossians 1:17 Or endure
- Colossians 1:19 Or all the fullness was pleased to dwell
- Colossians 1:19 I.e., fullness of deity
- Colossians 1:20 Lit the heavens
- Colossians 1:23 Or in faith
- Colossians 1:23 Lit became
- Colossians 1:23 Or servant
- Colossians 1:24 Lit of
- Colossians 1:25 Lit became
- Colossians 1:25 Lit make full the word of God
- Colossians 1:26 Lit holy ones; i.e., God’s people
- Colossians 1:28 Lit in
- Colossians 1:28 Or perfect
- Colossians 1:29 Lit working
- Colossians 1:29 Lit in power
- Colossians 2:1 Lit in the flesh
- Colossians 2:2 Lit of the full assurance
- Colossians 2:5 Lit and seeing
- Colossians 2:5 Or your good order
- Colossians 2:6 Or lead your life
- Colossians 2:7 Or by
- Colossians 2:7 Or the faith
- Colossians 2:7 One early ms in it with
- Colossians 2:8 Lit and not
- Colossians 2:10 Lit full
- Colossians 2:10 Lit of
- Colossians 2:13 Or although
- Colossians 2:13 Or by reason of
- Colossians 2:15 Or divested Himself of
- Colossians 2:15 Or it; i.e., the cross
- Colossians 2:16 Lit judge you
- Colossians 2:16 Or days
- Colossians 2:17 Lit body
- Colossians 2:17 Lit of Christ
- Colossians 2:18 Or deciding against you
- Colossians 2:18 Or going into detail about
- Colossians 2:18 Or conceited
- Colossians 2:19 Lit bonds
- Colossians 2:19 Lit of God
- Colossians 2:20 Lit from
- Colossians 2:22 Or by being consumed
- Colossians 2:23 Lit report; Gr logos
- Colossians 2:23 Or would-be religion
- Colossians 3:2 Or Be intent on
- Colossians 3:5 Lit put to death the parts of your body which are upon the earth
- Colossians 3:5 Lit is
- Colossians 3:6 Two early mss do not contain upon the sons of disobedience
- Colossians 3:6 I.e., people opposed to God
- Colossians 3:7 Or among these
- Colossians 3:9 Or Stop lying
- Colossians 3:9 Lit person
- Colossians 3:10 Lit renovated
- Colossians 3:11 I.e., uncultured
- Colossians 3:11 I.e., a member of an ancient people near the Black Sea, often considered unrefined
- Colossians 3:12 I.e., forbearance toward others
- Colossians 3:14 Lit the uniting bond of perfection
- Colossians 3:15 Or also
- Colossians 3:15 Or be in control in
- Colossians 3:15 Or show yourselves thankful
- Colossians 3:16 One early ms the Lord
- Colossians 3:16 Or in
- Colossians 3:16 Or one another, singing with psalms...
- Colossians 3:20 Lit in
- Colossians 3:21 Or provoke to anger
- Colossians 3:22 I.e., slaves in first-century Roman culture
- Colossians 3:22 Lit masters according to flesh
- Colossians 3:22 I.e., working only when watched
- Colossians 3:23 Lit from the soul
- Colossians 3:24 I.e., consisting of
- Colossians 3:25 Lit there is no partiality
- Colossians 4:5 Lit Walk
- Colossians 4:5 Lit redeeming the time
- Colossians 4:6 Or gracious
- Colossians 4:9 Lit along with Onesimus
- Colossians 4:10 Or orders
- Colossians 4:12 Or stand firm
- Colossians 4:12 Or fully developed
- Colossians 4:12 Or made complete
- Colossians 4:13 Or much toil; or great pain
- Colossians 4:15 Or Nymphas (masc)
- Colossians 4:15 One early ms their
- Colossians 4:16 Lit the
- Colossians 4:16 Lit the
- Colossians 4:17 Or continually fulfill
- Colossians 4:18 Lit The greeting by my hand of Paul
- Colossians 4:18 Lit bonds