New English Translation
4 He[a] fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul,[b] why are you persecuting me?”[c] 5 So he said, “Who are you, Lord?” He replied, “I am Jesus whom you are persecuting! 6 But stand up[d] and enter the city and you will be told[e] what you must do.”Read full chapter
- Acts 9:4 tn Grk “and he.” Because of the length of the Greek sentence, the conjunction καί (kai) has not been translated here. Instead a new English sentence is begun.
- Acts 9:4 tn The double vocative suggests emotion.
- Acts 9:4 sn Persecuting me. To persecute the church is to persecute Jesus.
- Acts 9:6 tn Or “But arise.”
- Acts 9:6 tn Literally a passive construction, “it will be told to you.” This has been converted to another form of passive construction in the translation.