2 Samuel 8:3-14
New International Version
3 Moreover, David defeated Hadadezer(A) son of Rehob, king of Zobah,(B) when he went to restore his monument at[a] the Euphrates(C) River. 4 David captured a thousand of his chariots, seven thousand charioteers[b] and twenty thousand foot soldiers. He hamstrung(D) all but a hundred of the chariot horses.
5 When the Arameans of Damascus(E) came to help Hadadezer king of Zobah, David struck down twenty-two thousand of them. 6 He put garrisons(F) in the Aramean kingdom of Damascus, and the Arameans became subject(G) to him and brought tribute. The Lord gave David victory wherever he went.(H)
7 David took the gold shields(I) that belonged to the officers of Hadadezer and brought them to Jerusalem. 8 From Tebah[c] and Berothai,(J) towns that belonged to Hadadezer, King David took a great quantity of bronze.
9 When Tou[d] king of Hamath(K) heard that David had defeated the entire army of Hadadezer,(L) 10 he sent his son Joram[e] to King David to greet him and congratulate him on his victory in battle over Hadadezer, who had been at war with Tou. Joram brought with him articles of silver, of gold and of bronze.
11 King David dedicated(M) these articles to the Lord, as he had done with the silver and gold from all the nations he had subdued: 12 Edom[f](N) and Moab,(O) the Ammonites(P) and the Philistines,(Q) and Amalek.(R) He also dedicated the plunder taken from Hadadezer son of Rehob, king of Zobah.
13 And David became famous(S) after he returned from striking down eighteen thousand Edomites[g] in the Valley of Salt.(T)
14 He put garrisons throughout Edom, and all the Edomites(U) became subject to David.(V) The Lord gave David victory(W) wherever he went.(X)
- 2 Samuel 8:3 Or his control along
- 2 Samuel 8:4 Septuagint (see also Dead Sea Scrolls and 1 Chron. 18:4); Masoretic Text captured seventeen hundred of his charioteers
- 2 Samuel 8:8 See some Septuagint manuscripts (see also 1 Chron. 18:8); Hebrew Betah.
- 2 Samuel 8:9 Hebrew Toi, a variant of Tou; also in verse 10
- 2 Samuel 8:10 A variant of Hadoram
- 2 Samuel 8:12 Some Hebrew manuscripts, Septuagint and Syriac (see also 1 Chron. 18:11); most Hebrew manuscripts Aram
- 2 Samuel 8:13 A few Hebrew manuscripts, Septuagint and Syriac (see also 1 Chron. 18:12); most Hebrew manuscripts Aram (that is, Arameans)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
NIV Reverse Interlinear Bible: English to Hebrew and English to Greek. Copyright © 2019 by Zondervan.