2 Thessalonians 2:8-10
New English Translation
8 and then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord[a] will destroy by the breath of his mouth and wipe out by the manifestation of his arrival. 9 The arrival of the lawless one[b] will be by Satan’s working with all kinds of miracles[c] and signs and false wonders, 10 and with every kind of evil deception directed against[d] those who are perishing, because they found no place in their hearts for the truth[e] so as to be saved.Read full chapter
- 2 Thessalonians 2:8 tc ‡ Several significant witnesses of the Alexandrian and Western traditions, as well as many other witnesses, read ᾿Ιησοῦς (Iēsous, “Jesus”) after κύριος (kurios, “Lord”; so א A D* F G Lc P Ψ 0278 33 81 104 365 1241 2464 latt sy co). But there is sufficient evidence in the Alexandrian tradition for the shorter reading (B 1739 1881), supported by the Byzantine text, Irenaeus, and other witnesses (D2vid 630 1175 1505). Although it is possible that scribes overlooked ᾿Ιησοῦς if the two nomina sacra occurred together (kMsiMs), since “the Lord Jesus” is a frequent enough appellation, it looks to be a motivated reading. NA28 places ᾿Ιησοῦς in brackets, indicating some doubts as to its authenticity.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:9 tn Grk “whose coming,” referring to the lawless one. Because of the length and complexity of the Greek construction, a new sentence was started here in the translation.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:9 tn Grk “every miracle.”
- 2 Thessalonians 2:10 tn Grk “deception for/toward.”
- 2 Thessalonians 2:10 tn Grk “they did not accept the love of the truth.”