2 Samuel 8
1599 Geneva Bible
8 1 David overcometh the Philistines, and other strange nations, and maketh them tributaries to Israel.
2 And he smote Moab, and measured them with a cord, and cast them down to the ground: he measured them with [c]two cords to put them to death, and with one full cord to keep them alive: so became the Moabites David’s servants, and brought gifts.
4 And David took of them a thousand and seven hundred horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen, and David [f]destroyed all the chariots, but he reserved an hundred chariots of them.
7 And David took the shields of gold that belonged to the servants of Hadadezer, and brought them to [k]Jerusalem.
8 And out of Betah, and Berothai (cities of Hadadezer) king David brought exceedingly much brass.
9 ¶ Then Toi king of [l]Hamath heard how David had smitten all the host of Hadadezer,
10 Therefore Toi sent Joram his son unto king David, [m]to salute him, and to [n][o]rejoice with him, because he had fought against Hadadezer, and beaten him (for Hadadezer had war with Toi) who [p]brought with him vessels of silver, and vessels of gold, and vessels of brass.
11 And king David dedicated them unto the Lord with the silver and gold that he had dedicated of all the nations, which he had subdued:
12 Of [q]Aram, and of Moab, and of the children of Ammon, and of the Philistines, and of Amalek, and of the spoil of Hadadezer the son of Rehob king of Zobah.
13 So David got a name after that he returned, and had slain of the Aramites in the [r]valley of salt eighteen thousand men.
14 And he put a garrison in Edom: throughout all Edom put he soldiers, and all they of Edom became David’s servants: and the Lord kept David [s]whithersoever he went.
15 Thus David reigned over all Israel, and executed [t]judgment and justice unto all his people.
16 And Joab the son of Zeruiah was over the host, and Jehoshaphat the son of Ahilud was [u]Recorder.
17 And Zadok the son of Ahitub, and Ahimelech the son of Abiathar were the Priests, and Seraiah the Scribe.
- 2 Samuel 8:1 Or, Metheg Ammah.
- 2 Samuel 8:1 So that they paid no more tribute.
- 2 Samuel 8:2 He slew two parts as it pleased him, and reserved the third.
- 2 Samuel 8:3 Or, enlarge.
- 2 Samuel 8:3 Hebrew, Perath.
- 2 Samuel 8:4 Or, bought the horses of the chariots.
- 2 Samuel 8:5 Or, the Syrians.
- 2 Samuel 8:5 Or, of Damascus, that is, which dwelt near Damascus.
- 2 Samuel 8:6 In that part of Syria, where Damascus was.
- 2 Samuel 8:6 They paid yearly tribute.
- 2 Samuel 8:7 For the use of the Temple.
- 2 Samuel 8:9 Or, Antiochia.
- 2 Samuel 8:10 Hebrew, to ask peace.
- 2 Samuel 8:10 Hebrew, bless him.
- 2 Samuel 8:10 For seeing David victorious, he was glad to entreat of peace.
- 2 Samuel 8:10 Hebrew, in his hand.
- 2 Samuel 8:12 Or, Syria, or Cœlosyria.
- 2 Samuel 8:13 Or, in Gemelah.
- 2 Samuel 8:14 Or, in all his enterprises.
- 2 Samuel 8:15 He gave judgment in controversies, and was merciful toward the people.
- 2 Samuel 8:16 Or, writer of Chronicles.
- 2 Samuel 8:18 Or, was over the Cherethites.
- 2 Samuel 8:18 The Cherethites and Pelethites were as the king’s guard, and had charge of his person.