2 Kings 19:9-11
New English Translation
9 The king[a] heard that King Tirhakah of Ethiopia was marching out to fight him.[b] He again sent messengers to Hezekiah, ordering them: 10 “Tell King Hezekiah of Judah this: ‘Don’t let your God in whom you trust mislead you when he says, “Jerusalem will not be handed over[c] to the king of Assyria.” 11 Certainly you have heard how the kings of Assyria have annihilated all lands.[d] Do you really think you will be rescued?[e]Read full chapter
- 2 Kings 19:9 tn Heb “he”; the referent (the king) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- 2 Kings 19:9 tn Heb “heard concerning Tirhakah king of Cush, ‘Look, he has come out to fight with you.’”
- 2 Kings 19:10 tn Heb “will not be given in the hand.”
- 2 Kings 19:11 tn Heb “Look, you have heard what the kings of Assyria have done to all the lands, annihilating them.”
- 2 Kings 19:11 tn Heb “and will you be rescued?” The rhetorical question expects the answer, “No, of course not!”