2 Corinthians 5:9-11
The Passion Translation
9 So whether we live or die[a] we make it our life’s passion[b] to live our lives pleasing to him.[c] 10 For one day we will all be openly revealed before Christ on his throne[d] so that each of us will be duly recompensed for our actions done in life,[e] whether good or worthless.
The Message of Reconciliation
11 Since we are those who stand in holy awe of the Lord,[f] we make it our passion to persuade others to turn to him. We know that our lives are transparent before the God who knows us fully, and I hope that we are also well known to your consciences.Read full chapter
- 2 Corinthians 5:9 Or “at home or away from home.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:9 Or “our driving ambition.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:9 Or “in full agreement with him.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:10 Or “judgment seat.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:10 Or “done in the body” or “time spent in the body.” The judgment for our sins fell upon Christ on the cross, and the believer will never be judged for his sins. This judgment (scrutinizing) is for rewards. There will be different levels of reward given to believers after death. For some, there will be no reward, yet they will still be saved. See Rom. 14:10-12; 1 Cor. 3:10-15.
- 2 Corinthians 5:11 Although the Greek word phobos is usually associated with fear or dread, the classic use of the word is “deepest awe/respect.” See 1 John 4:18.