2 Chronicles 3
New American Standard Bible
The Temple Construction in Jerusalem
3 (A)Then Solomon began to build the house of the Lord in Jerusalem on Mount Moriah, where the Lord had appeared to his father David, at the place that David had prepared (B)on the threshing floor of [a]Ornan the Jebusite. 2 He began to build on the second day in the second month [b]of the fourth year of his reign.
Dimensions and Materials of the Temple
3 Now these are the [c]foundations which (C)Solomon laid for building the house of God. The length in cubits, according to the old standard, was [d]sixty cubits, and the width, twenty cubits. 4 The porch which was in front of the house (D)was as long as the width of the house, [e]twenty cubits, and the height [f]twenty; and inside he overlaid it with pure gold. 5 He overlaid (E)the [g]main room with juniper wood and overlaid it with fine gold; and he [h]ornamented it with palm trees and chains. 6 Further, he overlaid the house [i]with precious stones; and the gold was gold from Parvaim. 7 (F)He also overlaid the house with gold—the beams, the thresholds, and its walls and doors; and he (G)carved cherubim on the walls.
8 Then he made (H)the [j]room of the Most Holy Place: its length across the width of the house was [k]twenty cubits, and its width was twenty cubits; and he overlaid it with fine gold, amounting to [l]six hundred talents. 9 The weight of the nails was fifty shekels of gold. He also overlaid (I)the upper rooms with gold.
10 (J)Then he made two [m]sculptured cherubim in the room of the Most Holy Place and overlaid them with gold. 11 The wingspan of the [n]cherubim was twenty [o]cubits; the wing of one, of five cubits, touched the wall of the house, and its other wing, of five cubits, touched the wing of the other cherub. 12 The wing of the other cherub, of five cubits, touched the wall of the house; and its other wing, of five cubits, was attached to the wing of the [p]first cherub. 13 The wings of these cherubim extended twenty cubits, and they stood on their feet [q]facing the main room. 14 (K)He made the veil of violet, purple, crimson, and fine linen, and he worked cherubim into it.
15 (L)He also made two pillars for the front of the house, thirty-five cubits [r]high, and the capital on the top of each was five cubits. 16 He made chains in the inner sanctuary and placed them on the tops of the pillars; and he made a hundred pomegranates and placed them on the chains. 17 (M)He erected the pillars in front of the temple, one on the right and the other on the left, and named the one on the right Jachin and the one on the left Boaz.
- 2 Chronicles 3:1 In 2 Sam 24:18, Araunah
- 2 Chronicles 3:2 Lit in
- 2 Chronicles 3:3 Lit founding of Solomon to build
- 2 Chronicles 3:3 About 90 ft. long and 30 ft. wide or 27 m long and 9 m wide
- 2 Chronicles 3:4 About 30 ft. or 9 m
- 2 Chronicles 3:4 As in ancient versions; MT 120 cubits or about 180 ft. or 55 m
- 2 Chronicles 3:5 Lit great house
- 2 Chronicles 3:5 Lit put on it palm trees
- 2 Chronicles 3:6 Lit for beauty
- 2 Chronicles 3:8 Lit house
- 2 Chronicles 3:8 About 30 ft. or 9 m
- 2 Chronicles 3:8 About 23 tons or 21 metric tons
- 2 Chronicles 3:10 Lit cherubim of cast work
- 2 Chronicles 3:11 Heb plural of cherub
- 2 Chronicles 3:11 About 18 in. or 45 cm
- 2 Chronicles 3:12 Lit other
- 2 Chronicles 3:13 Lit and their faces to
- 2 Chronicles 3:15 Lit long